To make ahead freezer meals is one of the best ways that you can apply when your goal is to save time or minimize the cooking time every day. To buy food in bulk is a great way in saving money. However, you might encounter pulling out food from the freezer and you find it discolored, dry and have a funky smell. It might be because of the freezer burn.
When doing freezer meals, you cannot deny the fact that you will probably encounter problems once you did not apply the proper way of putting and organizing the meals into the freezer. One of the biggest problems that people would encounter in freezer cooking is the freezer burn. You will notice it when you see the meat that looks off! The color is usually grayish white and looks dry like it has been overcook.
Now, what is freezer burn?
It is the damage in your food resulted out from the oxidation and dehydration caused by the air. The water is evaporating at all temperatures; therefore, the water will continue evaporating out of the frozen food unless there is something that will help in preventing it to happen.
There should have a moisture vapor barrier that is provided by the freezer container. However, you can still consider other tricks or ways on how to keep your meat frozen and avoid the freezer burn.
Bye!Bye! Freezer Burn
Here are some ways or tips that can help you in preventing freezer burns.
You need to understand how the freezer burn works.
· You will notice that when you freeze the food, the water molecules will form into ice crystals. Once one of the parts of the food is colder than the other parts, the water will then sublimate, will migrate and will form ice crystals on its coldest part that leaves the other parts of the food dehydrated. If you put it into the fridge that has fat such as meat, the dry spots will be oxidized that can change the smell and flavor of the food.
Keep the normal temperature when freezing meals.
· The ideal freezer temperature should be at the zero degrees or below in order to maintain the quality of your frozen foods or meals.
· It is important that you know how to maintain a particular freezer temperature in order to have a successful and effective freezer cooking. Remember that the freezer temperature is one of the most important factors when doing freezer meals. Once you allow warm air to enter the fridge, you are also allowing the bacteria to start growing again. The freezer does not remove bacteria; it can just freeze the food to prevent the bacteria from growing. Nevertheless, once it is warmed, there would be the great possibility for your food or meal to spoil.
You must keep the temperature of the freezer as constant as possible.
· The fluctuations of the temperature are causing the difference between the temperature of the food and the air that surrounds it that will definitely encourage the water molecules to sublimate.
· Do not open the fridge unless it’s needed, and once you do, make sure that you do not linger with the door open that peers into the frozen abyss. You can also put plastic containers filled with water into the freezer, but you should make sure that there is an intended room for expansion. This is to help in stabilizing the proper freezer temperature in the freezer.
· Do not put any hot food unto the fridge. It will only cause an immediate temperature change that will affect the temperature when doing the freezer cooking meals.
Make sure that you packed the food tightly.
· When the food is exposed to air, the water molecules will have the chance to migrate and sublimate. You can prevent this from happening by applying the use of freezer bag cooking or simply looking for the best products such as the heavy plastic containers, thick sealable plastics bags, and thefreezer safe glass. You can also create a combination like using the freezer plastic wrap and a heavy duty aluminum foil, which can create the barrier against the moisture. Just make sure that you leave the container space for it will expand once it starts freezing or else, your packaging or container can possibly break leading to freezer burn.
· Do not store the food in the freezer for too long if you do not know how long is safe in the freezer fridge. If you want to, you need to research on the lifespan of the food or meal that you store in your freezer for you to know how long you can store it in your fridge.
What type of container you should use? What type of freezer should be used? Do you put food away from warm? How long do you keep your food? Do you wrap your food? These are the questions that you need to answer in order to ensure that you are preventing burn food and freezer burn to happen.
I also found a very useful video, How to Organize Your Freezer so can help you to prevent your freezer burn easily.
Freezer Burned Chicken Safe to Eat?
The freezer burned chicken safe to eat, but you will have to suffer the quality of the chicken. Sometimes, you will just cut off the dehydrated part of the chicken and it will definitely make you feel that you fail to save time and money.
The best way that you can do is to prevent the freezer burn to happen. Knowing the best freezer temperature is the best way to maintain the good quality of the meal you put in the fridge. It is indeed important for you as a mother to know the best ways to make your family happy and satisfied with every meal that you serve for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Having the following tips mentioned above will not just prevent you from having freezer burn but also it will prevent you from serving worst meals for your family.
The make ahead freezer meals cooking is giving and providing several advantages. All you have to do is to maximize its use and benefits for a happy and meaningful mealtime among your family members.
Your Experience on Burn Food
Do you have any experience in freezer burn? I would like to learn some from you so please feel free to share your experience or trick on avoiding freezer food.